Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Life with 2

I don't remember what it's like not to have kids so going from one to two isn't too much harder. I don't remember having the freedom to do whatever I want, so throwing a 2nd kid in the mix just made me a little bit busier, but overall we're managing (I mean, we have to, right?).

Olivia is starting to stay awake for longer periods of time and she is no longer as easy going as she was after she was born. She is quite demanding sometimes, and when she isn't sleeping, she's either eating or insisting I hold and bounce her. She really hates the mornings when I have to be somewhere and need to get myself and Carter ready because that means I have to set her down. She cries, but it's usually just a whiny cry and rarely does she get to that ugly screaming cry so I can handle it. Babies fuss and cry, period. If they are fed, changed, comfy and still crying - sometimes you have to just deal with it.

Carter adores his sister, but he still doesn't understand his boundaries. He likes to squish her face, squeeze her and try and pick her up. He constantly tells me how much he loves her, which is cute, but I wish he would just love her two feet away. Ha.

I have successfully handled two grocery store trips with both kids. I strap Olivia to my chest in her carrier, and put Carter in the cart. Going anywhere with the kids takes a lot of prep. In order for me to go anywhere I have to mentally run through what's about to happen so that things go smoothly. Do other people do this? If I don't prepare mentally, there is a good chance I'll have an anxiety attack because I'll be unprepared. For example, If I'm going to the store with both of them, I'll think ahead to where I will park (closest to a cart), and the steps I will take to get them out of the car. (Strap Ergo carrier on first, put Olivia in carrier, unbuckle Carter, hold his hand, get purse, lock car, put Carter in cart, etc etc). I have to do this on the way out as well and plan how I will get both of them in the car (turn on car first so I don't overheat kids, Olivia first, then Carter, then groceries). And as well for when I get home (bring Olivia in with her car seat, bring Carter in and give him something to do, unload groceries, etc etc). Call me crazy, but this is seriously the only way I can handle anything with both of them without having a major meltdown. I guess I do this in most areas of my life, maybe everyone does.

SLEEP. Olivia is still a good sleeper even if she is needy during the day, she still sleeps a good 3-5 hours at a time, nurses, and goes right back to sleep. It's heavenly. We are co-sleeping. I tried to get her in the bassinet, but I realized I want her close to me more than I want my bed to myself. All three of us sleep beautifully this way so we'll keep at it for a little while.

More so then ever, I need my adult time. If I don't get some time out of the house with friends or sans kids at least once a week, it won't be pretty.  I sort of shut myself in after having Carter and I enjoyed it, but this time around, I need to get out of the house. I'm only good for a few hours before my boobs start aching and I miss my little O, but it's great to feel human for a few hours over dinner or drinks with a friend or two.

Carter has been..interesting lately. An old friend told me about a year ago that the "terrible twos" were nothing and I should be worried about the "terrible threes" and I'm starting to think he's right. Carter is this insane ball of energy at all times and has been pushing our patience lately. We have our good days and bad days, but I think we're just dealing with typical boy behavior...I hope.

Well, I'm off to get ready for some mommy time - yay! Say a prayer for my husband.



1 comments:

Joanna said...

new follower saying hello :)

joanna-dan.blogspot.com