Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anger

"Anybody can become angry, that is easy;
but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree,
and at the right time, and for the right purpose,
and in the right way, that is not within everybody's power,
that is not easy." - Aristotle

      Anger consumes people. It invades your body and explodes out from your pores and no matter how irrational you become, you don't care because you are just that angry. I've been there, I'm sure you can relate. Recently, I've been noticing more how this anger infects people around me (including myself) and how we all react to it.  We've all come down with a raging case of head exploding anger. But the difference between the cool-headed person and the fists-flying one is all about how the reaction, but more importantly the ability to just...let...go.


I, for one have always been the queen of over-reacting. I always react without thinking, and even when someone is definitely in the wrong, I over-react to it and end up looking like the wrong person. But I've noticed that as I've gotten a bit older the part of me that needs to be "right" all the time or the part of me that needs to tell that certain person exactly what they've done to piss me off is disappearing. I'm not sure if that part of me will go over away, but I've learned to suppress it. I think this is what maturity is called? Gasp! I no longer feel the need to call people out when they've done something annoying, or wronged me, or was rude to me, and the list goes on. It's just not worth it. All the angst or drama that comes with showing your anger or fighting with someone just creates unnecessary drama. Pick your battles.

We had a client today who was just furious at every little thing we did. He found a reason to get mad, yell or make a snide comment no matter what we did to make him happy. Someone else called a few weeks back for a quote and when I told him we couldn't help him in his particular state, he completely lost it and was shouting obscenities at me because he had found us by googling and "why did our website come up if we didn't write there??" Umm, take it up with Google sir!

Or cry about it.

I try and remember not to take things too personally - especially when it involves someone I'm close to. I know my friends and family love me so if I feel like an email sounded a bit offensive, or so and so didn't invite me somewhere, I don't take it personally. I'm done with feeling hurt and angry. They are useless unhealthy feelings that don't do any good. It's not as bad as it seems at the time, and my reaction will play a big part in whether this will pass, or become much worse.

I know I've said this before, but I can only control myself and what I do, and if somebody takes offense to something I do, or gets mad at me for nothing, it's not about me. I can't walk on eggshells all time. If I always do the right thing and know my heart is in the right place, it's their problem, not mine. I won't confront it, or stress about it, and will let it pass.



Speak when you are angry - and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret.




And when all else fails, just stare at this cute face and you'll forget whatever it is you're angry about!





1 comments:

Amy said...

Amen, sista friend.